If you’ve been involved in an accident it’s important to know the recommended process in dealing with the insurance company before you file a claim.
- Inform the individual who may be at fault for your injuries that you plan on filing a claim. Letting them know you intentions beforehand may prevent them from stating that they were unfairly blindsided by your claim.
- Collect all information and evidence surrounding your claim in order to assess who should be held liable.
- From the evidence gathered, determine what you believe your claim is worth. Request a free consultation with a personal injury attorney if you’re not sure.
- Propose a formal demand letter outlining your strongest pieces of evidence and what your demands are.
- The negotiation process will proceed until you reach a settlement both you and the insurance company agrees on. Be aware that insurance companies protect their best interests first.
Dealing With A Claims Adjuster
When going through the negotiation process you’ll spend a lot of time dealing with a claims adjuster. The goal of a claims adjuster is to try and reduce the amount of money you are awarded. During this process it’s crucial you use strong negotiation tactics, especially when dealing with an adjuster who is inflexible or simply unreasonable.
If Negotiations Don’t Work
Negotiating with the insurance company can often be difficult and your efforts to get a fair award may feel insufficient. This is where a personal injury lawyer can step in and help elevate the importance of your claim while using their expertise to better negotiate on your behalf.
If you and your lawyer are unable to reach an agreement with the claims adjuster, your claim may be taken to court in order for a settlement to be reached. In court, a personal injury lawyer can properly defend your case to a judge and present evidence to help maximize your award.
In many cases, it’s essential to have the support and guidance of a legal representative who will fight for your claim. If you have been injured, don’t wait any longer! Get started today by requesting your FREE case review with a legal professional in our network.