On today’s article on “how to”, we would like to teach or refresh your memory on how you can be able to access another computer from your own computer, for ease in the transfer of files between both computers.
There are 3 different techniques on how to access another computer from your own, namely;
- Chrome Remote Desktop
- Windows Remote Desktop
- If TeamViewer incorrectly determines your operating system, click your computer’s OS in the row of options in the middle of the page.
- Depending on your browser’s settings, you may have to save the file or indicate a download location before the file will actually download
- Windows – Check the “Installation to access this computer remotely” box, check the “Personal / Non-commercial use” box, and click Accept – Finish.
- Mac – Double-click the installer package, click OK, open the Apple menu , click System Preferences, click Security and Privacy, click Open Anyway next to the “TeamViewer” message, and click Open when prompted. Follow the on-screen prompts.
- Hover over the current password.
- Click the circular arrow left of the password.
- Click Set personal password in the drop-down menu.
- Enter your preferred password into the “Password” and “Confirm password” fields.
- Click OK.
- You can also download TeamViewer on your iPhone or Android.
- Once you see the host computer’s screen, you can interact with it as though it were your own computer.
- To disconnect, you’ll click the X at the top of the TeamViewer window.
CHROME REMOTE DESKTOP
- If you don’t have Chrome installed on your machine, you’ll first need to install it.
- If the Chrome Apps page doesn’t open type chrome://apps into the Chrome address bar and press ↵ Enter.
- Depending on your Chrome settings, you may first have to select a download location and click Save.
- Windows – Double-click the Chrome setup file, then click Yes when prompted.
- Mac – Double-click the DMG file. Click Okay on the pop-up window, then open the Apple menu , click System Preferences, click Security and Privacy, click Open Anyway next to the “chromeremotedesktophost” message, and click Openwhen prompted. Click and drag the Chrome file onto the Applications folder.
- For example: your host computer might be a home desktop, and the second computer might be your work computer.
- You may experience a slight delay when performing actions on the host computer, as commands need to be sent through the internet in order to reach it.
- Click the Disconnect button in the top menu to end the connection.
- Use the Send Keys button to send key commands to the host computer, such as Ctrl+Alt+Del and ⎙ Print Screen.
WINDOWS REMOTE DESKTOP
- You’ll have to scroll with your cursor hovering over this column.
- This option may also be at the bottom of the page if you haven’t updated to the Windows 10 Creator version.
- If this box is checked, you don’t have to change anything.
- On Mac, first click + New in the top-left corner of the app window, then enter the computer’s name in the “PC Name” field.
- You can also type the host computer’s IP address into the computer’s name field.
- On Mac, double-click the connection name you just created in the My Desktopsdrop-down list.